Honey Candles® Products are Bee Friendly
- Most of us don't think about the honey bees until we see them flying around our gardens and orchards in the spring and summer. They make us smile because we know they pollinate 1/3 of the food we eat. Just think about the fresh peaches and apples we so enjoy - oh yes, and our precious beeswax Honey Candles® . Honey bees are a vital resource in our ecosystem.
- Now what is going on when we don't see these tiny insects? They are disappearing by the millions around the world. There may not be a perfect solution to this problem but research is needed to discover the options.
- Scientists from North America, Europe, Asia and around the world are quickly racing to solve the mystery of what's causing the disappearance of the honey bee. They need our help so that the vitality in our food supply can be preserved.
Colony Collapse Disorder
- Why are bees so important?
- Honey bees are a vital resource in our ecosystems. 1/3 of the food we eat including almonds, apples, strawberries and many of the beautiful flowers we enjoy are dependent on insect pollination, especially by the domesticated honey bee. The bee is a fascinating creature whose life cycle is anywhere from 1 year for a worker bee to 2 years for a queen bee. Honey bees are rounder in shape than most bees – they are more orange in color and are smaller than a bumble bee.
- What is Colony Collapse Disorder?
In 2007 honey bees started showing rapid decline. There are many theories as to why the bee population is declining. Some blame insecticides and pesticide usage. Others say the large amount of agricultural land devoted to mono crops such as corn and soy means the bees don't have flower-rich diverse habitat. Since honey bees are often transported to pollinate elsewhere, this may cause them stress. It could also be mites, viruses or parasites. There are many groups committed to researching the cause of CCD.
- What can customers do to help?
- For every purchase of a Honey Candles Peek-a-Bee $2.00 will be donated to research. When you purchase 100% pure beeswax candles and other bee related products such as honey, bee pollen and propolis, you support the fragile beekeeping industry by encouraging beekeepers to continue establishing apiaries.
Compilation from purebeeswaxcandles (dot) com